|Datong Travel Guide|
|Datong airport, train, attractions, hotel and business|
DatongDatong is the second largest city in Shanxi Province (after capital Taiyuan) with about 3 million people. It is a historical and cultural important city and an industrial center. Coal mining is the dominant industry of Datong. Distance to Beijing is about 375km and to capital city Taiyuan 350km.
Datong Airport is located in the north of Beijiazao Township. It opened in 2005 and has flights to Changzhi, Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai. Distance form the airport to the city is 17km. Shuttle buses operates between the airport and the Continental Hotel in the centre of Datong. The ride takes about 30 minutes. A taxi to downtown cost about 35-45 Yuan.
Datong hotels- Datong Garden Hotel
- Datong Youth Hostel
- Howard Johnson Jindi Plaza Datong
- Datong Weidu International Hotel
Datong Railway Station is located on Xinjian Bei Lu in the downtown area.
- Datong - Taiyuan: 5h.30min-6h.16min
- Datong - Hohhot: 3h.44min-5h.46min
- Datong - Beijing: 5h.53min-7h.18min
There are several nighttrains to Beijing. Four trains depart from Datong in the late evening. Three other trains depart in the middele of the night. Travel time of the trains to Beijing is 6-8 hours. Only a few trains operate in day time. K616 departs from Datong at 8.06 in the morning en arrives in Beijing at 14.35 in the afternoon. Tickets for these trains are hard seat (47-54 Yuan), hard sleeper (99-108) and soft sleepers (149-159).
attractions- Yungang Grottoes: famous grottoes with thousands of statues
- Hanging Monastery: 50 meters above the ground, 65km from Datong
- Yanmenguan Pas: important pass of the Great Wall
- Mt. Hengshan: famous sacred mountain, 62km from Datong
- Huayan Monastery: in Daxi Street
- Shanhua Temple
- Datong Bus Station (at No.20 Yantong Road West): buses to Beijing, Tangshan, Shijiazhuang, Jinan, Luoyang, Baoding, Hohhot and Baotou
- Xinnan Bus Station (at No.699 Xinjian Road): buses to Beijing, Tianjin, Taiyuan, Luoyang, Jinan, Shenyang, Xian and Zhengzhou
- North Bus Station, (200m of Datong Railway Station): buses to Taiyuan and Shuozhou
Datong Economic and Technological Development Zone consists of the Hudong part and the Southern city part. The main industries are: industries: Food processing industry , new material industry , coal deep processing, automobile sale and mechanical manufacturing industry. Website is www.ccpitdt.com (Chinese/English).
Hanging Monastery in Datong
Shanxi province with (in red colour) Datong
China travelBeijing - Chengde - Chengdu - Chongqing - Dalian - Emeishan - Guangzhou - Guilin - Hangzhou - Harbin - Hong Kong - Lanzhou - Leshan - Nanjing - Ningbo - Qingdao - Shangri-la - Shanghai - Shenzhen - Suzhou - Tianjin - Xiamen - Xian - Zhengzhou - HOME