Xining Travel Guide
Xining is the capital of Qinghai Province on the eastern edge of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. It has has a history of over 2100 years. Xining is a multinational and multi-religion city with 36 nationalities. Total population is about 2.2 million people; the urban population 1.4 million.
Xining Caojiabao Airport has flights to Dunhuang, Golmud, Urumqi, Lhasa and other major cities in China. The airport is 30km away from Xining city. The fare for the airport shuttle bus is 21 Yuan. A taxi is about 50 Yuan.
The Xining Railway Station is located in Qilian Lu.
- Xining - Lanzhou: 2h.25min - 3h.13min (228km)
- Xining - Xian: 9h.58min - 13h.25min
- Xining - Lhasa: 23h-24hours (1960km)
- Xining - Beijing: 19h.59min-25h.00min
train to Lhasa
Daily several trains to Lhasa make a stop at Xining. (trains from Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Lanzhou and Xining)
The train Beijing - Lhasa makes stops in Shijiazhuang, Taiyuan, Zhongwei, Lanzhou, Xining West, Golmud and Nakchu. A hardseat ticket from Xining to Lhasa is 215 Yuan, a hardsleeper is 480-520 and a softsleeper cost 770-800 Yuan. The train departs at 16.10 from Xining and arrives in Lhasa at 15.40 the other day. Passengers need a Tibet Travel Permit. To enter Tibet it is required that visitors book a tour (accommodation+transportation+guide). Local travel agencies in Xining sell these tours and will apply a permit.
Xining Bus Station is located at east Jianguo Road about 600 meters south of the railway station. Buses to many cities and towns within the province and to Dunhuang, Lanzhou, Golmud and Lhasa.
- Qinghai Lake: China's largest inland salt-water lake
- Bird Island: northwest of Qinghai Lake
- Dongguan Mosque: one of the largest mosques in northwest China
- Kumbum Monastery(Ta'er Monastery): important Tibetan Buddhist monastery
- Northern Buddhist Temple: in north Xining
- Yinlong Hotel: luxurious business hotel
- Xining Mansion: 500m from the railway station
- Enraton Internation Hotel: located next to Dongguan Mosque
- Lete Youth Hostel: dorms and and small apartments
Chengdu - Hohhot - Zhengzhou - Urumqi - Shenyang - Shijiazhuang - China city guides
Xining Railway Station
Xining Economic and Technological Development Zone (XETDZ) lies in the east of Xining. Distance to downtown is 5km, to the railway station 4km and to the airport 12km. Qinghai province has the largest reserves in China of sylvite, magnesite, lithium, natural sulphur, silica and asbestos. Xining ETDZ focuses on the development of high-tech industries.