Urumqi Travel Guide
Urumqi is the capital of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in the northwest of China. The city is situated near the Silk Route and has a remote location. The population is about 2.6 million people: 75% are Han, 13% are Uyghur, the remaining 12% are other nationalities.
Urumqi Diwopu International Airport has flights to Tashkent, Novosibirsk, Moscow, Islamabad (Pakistan), Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan). The airport is 16km away from Urumqi city. The shuttle bus is running from the airport along the railway station to the Kempinski Hotel. Fare is 10 Yuan. A public bus to the city is 1 Yuan. A taxi is about 60 Yuan.
- Urumqi - Turpan: trains daily, journey takes 1h.43min - 2h.52min
- Urumqi - Kashgar: (23h - 33h)
- Urumqi - Beijing: (31 hours
- Urumqi - Lanzhou: (21 hours)
- Urumqi - Zhengzhou: (35 hours)
A train ticket Urumqi - Turpan cost between 10-111 Yuan depending class and train.
- Northern Suburb Passenger Transport Station (8, Dong Bajiahu Lu): buses to Ili, Burqin, Karamay, Hami
- Suburb Passenger Transport Station (1, Yan'erwo Lu, Santunbei): buses to Aksum Kashgar, Turpan, Kumul
- Nianzigou Passenger Transport Station (Heilongjiang Lu):Ili, buses to Burqin, Karamay, Hami
- Silk Road: trade route to Europe, many goods were silk
- Heavenly Lake: 110km from Urumqi
- Red Hill: famous reddish brown hill in the city center
- Southern Pasture: natural area with local Kazakh people, 60km from Urumqi
- Erdaoqiao market: large market for ethnic minority goods
- Kanas Nature Reserve: - Southern Mosque and Shaanxi Mosque - Shanxi Mosque: north of Jianzhong Road
- Xinjiang Museum: large collection of silk and brocades
- Tianshan Mountain Ski Resort: 60km from Urumqi
- Kempinski Hotel: in the center of Urumqi
- Sheraton Urumqi Hotel
- Hua Ling Grand Hotel: five-star international hotel
- Royal International Hotel: first European-style hotel in Urumqi
- Hongfu Hotel Xinjiang: five-star business hotel
- Tarim Hotel: from Tarim Oil Field company
- Ramada Urumqi
- Yema International Business Clubhouse: at high-tech Development Zone
- Xinyun Hotel: budget hotel near Urumqi's bus and train station
Urumqi Economic and Technological Development Zone is 10km from the city center and 2km from the railway station. Main indusries are: machinery, transmission equipment, new energy, biopharmaceuticals, food and beverage, chemicals and plastics.
Urumqi city view
Lhasa - Xining - Chengdu - Shijiazhuang - Xian
China city guides - Redflag.Info 2002-2012